Friday, March 19, 2004

The Atkin's Diet ... The 1st 2 weeks are the hardest.

There are so many diets going around now a days the hardest part is choosing which one is right for you.  Since there wasn't one that completely suited me, I decided to go with the Atkin's Diet.  It seems that on Atkin's you can lose the most weight in the shortest amount of time.  I hate cooking and shopping and I don't have a lot of extra time to be reading and calculating.  My work hours vary so much it's hard to maintain any kind of a schedule.  So basically, I'm looking for ease, speed and immediate results with the least amount of suffering that's possible.  I admit it.  I'm lazy, impatient and wimpy.  I won't be able to have pancakes, syrup, toast and Danish for breakfast anymore but I will be allowed to have bacon and eggs.  Splenda is a great sugar substitute, but of course, I prefer the real thing and lots of it.  No more pasta, rice and potatoes, but I can have steak and shell fish.  Atkin's doesn't allow any bread, rolls or crackers but you can still have cheese.  I always said that if I can't have sweets then I must have fruit.  Not on Atkin's damn it.  Not even one lone, pitiful grape.  Which also means no fruit juices either.  It's amazing how many carbs are in soda, ice tea and milk.  On Atkin's all I can really have is Crystal Light, which isn't too bad and lots of water.  I detest water.  At first, I thought it would be difficult to remember which foods I wasn't allowed to have.  But it's actually very simple.  The more I like a particular food, the higher the carb content turns out to be.  So I can pretty much bet that whatever I'd really like to eat, I won't be allowed to have.  That narrows it down.  I've been on this diet for 72 hours now.  Ray said that the Tootsie Rolls in the drawer in my desk at the hospital are NOT really calling my name.  He said it's all in my imagination.  He says that no one has ever died from carbohydrate withdrawal and that in a few days I won’t be craving sugar any more.  Right now, the only thing I wish Ray would say is, "Honey?  I brought home a dozen Boston Creams from Dunkin' Donuts!"  I just love it when he talks carbs to me...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell Ray, they may not die but they do sometimes get weak. I tried deleting all sugars from my diet years ago and I literally couldn't get off the chair by the end of the week. My neighbor, bless her heart, made me eat some crackers and handed me a candy bar. That was the end of my trying to take sugar out of my diet. So keep the Tootsie rolls in case you feel weak.....but don't imagine weakness. LOL! Remember that bathing suit that awaits. : )

Anonymous said...

Angela's right! Be very careful with that one Lisa. Putting your body into ketosis (however the hell you spell it lol) CAN damage your liver. So please be very, very careful. I imagine if you follow what he says to a 't' you should be alright, but if you start getting light-headed or dizzy or something... well, just be careful is all.:-)

Gregg

Anonymous said...

I want to encourage you with your weight loss efforts I also want to stress the importance of letting your doctor know what diet you are on ~ I've had two doctors advice against this diet not only for the reasons Angela mentioned. KEEP some small candy near by for emergency if you do get weak. Wishing you all the best!

Smilin Mon

Anonymous said...

You probably chose that diet with the mistaken belief you can eat all you want. Probably you would do better with Weight Watcher's or the diabetic diet plus some exercise. Moderation in portion is better than cutting all fruits and complex carbs out of your diet. Variety is the spice of life! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I'm not diet expert, and I know when I told you that I don't like chocolate, and I tell you now that there isn't even a grain of sugar in my home, you'll cuss me from the other side of your computer screen. I don't blame you! LOL I would too. Keep your tootsie rolls close by though. Don't be too hard on yourself. The part of my above confession that I always seem to omit (yes. on purpose) is that I am also hypoglycemic, and that eating anything with a sugar content reeks havoc on my body and makes me terribly ill. I wish you all the best on the Atkin's diet. I know if you had the willpower to stop smoking (I sooo admire you for that!), you'll find the willpower to stay with this diet. Your body sure is trying to do alot right now though ... dieting, menopause, pms, etc. You poor dear! My heart goes out to you!

Ray is right. Your body really will stop craving sugar, I promise!

Sandie

Anonymous said...

Just keep telling yourself you are a thin person who only eats healthy! You will eventually become hynotized and you will no longer be jonesin for the evil carbs!
Good luck

Anonymous said...

Ah hon...I am completely against this diet. Isn't there a better way? What happened to walking and drinking water?

Anonymous said...

There are carbs in iced tea??? Ahhhhhh!! Nooo! I have pondered the diet myself but now I am even more sure that it would be one of my greatest challenges. Good luck! I will be following your progress and hope the sugars quit calling your name! :) Heather
http://journals.aol.com/babygsmommy/Buildingadream

Anonymous said...

Poor Lisa. I hate dieting, too. I lost 30 lbs. by going to a Curves fitness center every day starting last April. I also gave up snacking and was living on single serving cans of plain tuna, water and cottage cheese. It was brutal. But I did it. I stopped going in Mid-October and haven't been back since but have managed to keep all but 5 lbs. off by the grace of God. (I have since returned to my normal eating patterns.) Good luck girl!  

"I just love it when he talks carbs to me..."

Hahahahaha!