Monday, January 5, 2004

The Perfect Gift

Finding a great Christmas present for Ray wasn't easy.  I had to resort to slipping in a few items that could technically be construed as gifts that I might use more than he would.  But I knew he would really enjoy them too.  What middle-aged man wouldn't want a blow dryer with ionic heat that makes your hair shinny, smooth and less frizzy?  And he will really be much happier now that all of his remote control devices are neatly organized in a big, beautiful, mahogany box with various sized compartments conveniently located beside the bed.  But I wanted to get him something really special for Christmas.  One he would treasure forever.  Less than a week before the big day, I found the perfect gift!  I knew that he really hated my 'Gone With The Wind' poster hanging above our bed.  I was going to suprise him with a framed picture of a skier, but then I found something even better.  One night, about a year ago, while Ray and I were enjoying a little too much wine, we were playfully arguing over which one of us loved the other one more.  He never ceases to amaze me with his colorful imagination and prolific flow of words.  He's going to kill me when he finds out that I wrote this, but he won the argument by saying that he loved me "more than all the penguins you can see with a pair of binoculars from really far away ... and that's a LOT!"  We laughed at our silliness, but he has repeated that phrase to me many times since that night.  When I found a huge picture of 19 penguins, playfully taking turns jumping into Arctic water off of an iceberg, I knew I found the perfect gift.  Those penguins are now hanging above our bed and they can remind Ray of how much he loves me each and every time he enters the room!  I only wish you could have seen the look of utter joy and delight on Ray's face when he opened that gift on Christmas morning!  I think that was utter joy on his face...  

Hmmm.... Now that I've read the comments below maybe Ray DID think it was a plasma TV!  That would account for that look of utter joy when he opened it...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this. I'm such a romantic mush. What a great gift and an even better story! I'm all smiles! Romance is a good thing! : )

Anonymous said...

When I first saw your picture I almost fell in love with you! I thought you got him a 46" plasma screen TV that hangs on the wall like a painting.

Anonymous said...

I thought it was a plasma tv too, but it was very very giving of you. And such a sweet cute story and i'm smiling so much. But what about Gone with the Wind..I loved it where is that going?

Anonymous said...

Penguins!!!!! Ahhhhh <screaming running away> What is this world coming to? Although the IDEA of loving you more than all the penguins you can see with binoculars is sweet, couldn't it have been dasies in a field?? Hahaha Lanny

Anonymous said...

Lisa! I love this story. What a perfect gift! And I bet Ray's look of joy was entirely due to the penguin thing. Yup.

Anonymous said...

That is a wonderful gift. The best ones are always the ones that have meaning behind them. Thanks for sharing!

Much Love,
Mary

Anonymous said...

I love, the love you have. Race

Anonymous said...

OK, but now do you have to do your whole bedroom in an arctic theme? Oops, too much "Trading Spaces" on the brain!

Great gift, awesome story. Made me smile before 7 am... you get points!

~ Karyn

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it.. I want one... I am Lanny's Penguin Queen.. Wiffie

Anonymous said...

Art.Com has the BEST pics on the Internet! They are high quality, and the frames are top of the line! They ship it to you fast, and it's well protected. Not to mention the fact that have have a HUGE selection of pictures, paintings and posters. For every occassion, mood, color scheme and room. (The pics themselves are extremely reasonably priced, but the framing is pretty expensive. I think it's worth it, but if you can do it yourself you'll save lots of money) Lisa (The... Occupant)